How to create AWS EC2 instance with L2R AWS credits

I’ve written up a small guide for using the AWS credits given to set up an instance and start running the simulator and code. In case anyone is also stumped on getting started on that front:

Any tips to improve it are greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Great work @arav_agarwal!

May I suggest modifying the title to something that is more reflective of the instructions in your post?

something like “How to create AWS EC2 instance with L2R AWS credits”

2 Likes

Can you please also share a template for the message that you sent to the AWS team that got your instance allotted? I have tried multiple times with multiple regions and I haven’t been able to get it approved.
Thanks!

1 Like

Done - thank you!

2 Likes

Hmm - I said the following in the description:
Use case description: Training RL agents for an AICrowd Learn 2 Race Challenge

I’d try to make sure you’re using the datacenters in either N. Virginia ( those are the ones I asked for ), or those in your region ( as that’s my approximate region in AWS )

1 Like

Does it really take AWS a day or 2 to approve you to use a set of computers, even if you are actually paying, not using free credits?

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately. Since you could dispute it or not actually pay for it at the end of the day, they take cautions in it. Additionally, since we’re asking for costly GPU instances, they want to make doubly sure no one is going to run off and not pay.

1 Like

But thats the thing
I was willing to spend a few bucks just to try this competition out.
Why should someone need to send an email to them describing why they need to use there big gpus?
Are they that certain people are just going to be using it for bitcoin mining?

2 Likes

Yup, or something to that effect. They also want to limit the number of support cases from accidental over-use

1 Like

I want to know how to run the emulator on AWS EC2, as far as I know the simulator for this competition needs GUI rendering, I don’t know how to run it on the server

1 Like

Can you try running the writeup that I put up? Basically, the simulator seems to run headless if you follow the writeup.

2 Likes