Google Colab Python 3.6 vs Test Runtime 3.8

Hello,

My latest submission (#118323) fails to load dependencies for xgboost. Having googled this error and done some sanity checks it seems to be due to the testing runtime environment. Possibly because by default Google Colab is using Python 3.6.2 whereas the AICrowd testing environment seems to be Python 3.8.

In hindsight of wanting to use XGBoost I would have used the .zip file submission route as the Colab route seems prone to issues in the discussion forum. Could we get a minimum viable xgboost colab template please?

Many kind thanks,

########## Generating Predictions on /data/mse_debug_data.csv #############
########## Generating Predictions on /data/mse_debug_data.csv #############
/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/statsmodels/tools/_testing.py:19: FutureWarning: pandas.util.testing is deprecated. Use the functions in the public API at pandas.testing instead.
  import pandas.util.testing as tm
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "predict.py", line 20, in <module>
    from utils import *
  File "/home/aicrowd/utils.py", line 1, in <module>
    from global_imports import *
  File "/home/aicrowd/global_imports.py", line 6, in <module>
    import xgboost as xgb
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/xgboost/__init__.py", line 11, in <module>
    from .core import DMatrix, Booster
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/xgboost/core.py", line 161, in <module>
    _LIB = _load_lib()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/xgboost/core.py", line 145, in _load_lib
    raise XGBoostError(
xgboost.core.XGBoostError: XGBoost Library (libxgboost.so) could not be loaded.
Likely causes:
  * OpenMP runtime is not installed (vcomp140.dll or libgomp-1.dll for Windows, libgomp.so for UNIX-like OSes)
  * You are running 32-bit Python on a 64-bit OS
Error message(s): ['libgomp.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory', 'libgomp.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory']

Hi @ben_postance

Sorry for the struggles!

Regarding the libgomp error could you follow the instructions listed here? That should fix your libgomp issue.

I believe XGBoost will have compatibility between those two different python versions and that your issue would be solved following the solution above :point_up:

Let me know if that doesn’t work.

For specifying the language version, if that is a strict requirement, then yes I suggest you use a zip submission for now while we add that functionality to the notebooks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome that should do the trick. Thank you for the quick reply.

1 Like